Nice Property Insurance photos

8993589761_5708330cde

A few nice property insurance images I found:

lawlessness on Lundy Island
property insurance
Image by brizzle born and bred
The late 18th and early 19th centuries were years of lawlessness on Lundy, particularly during the ownership of Thomas Benson, a Member of Parliament for Barnstaple in 1747 and Sheriff of Devon, who notoriously used the island for housing convicts whom he was supposed to be deporting. Benson leased Lundy from its owner, Lord Gower, at a rent of £60 per annum and contracted with the Government to transport a shipload of convicts to Virginia, but diverted the ship to Lundy to use the convicts as his personal slaves. Later Benson was involved in an insurance swindle. He purchased and insured the ship Nightingale and loaded it with a valuable cargo of pewter and linen. Having cleared the port on the mainland, the ship put into Lundy, where the cargo was removed and stored in a cave built by the convicts, before setting sail again.

Some days afterwards, when a homeward-bound vessel was sighted, the Nightingale was set on fire and scuttled. The crew were taken off the stricken ship by the other ship, which landed them safely at Clovelly.

Sir Aubrey Vere Hunt of Curraghchase purchased the island from John Cleveland in 1802 for £5,270. Sir Vere Hunt planted in the island a small, self-contained Irish colony with its own constitution and divorce laws, coinage and stamps. He failed in his attempt to sell the Island to the British Government as a base for troops, and his son Sir Aubrey Thomas de Vere also had great difficulty in securing any profit from the property. The tenants came from Sir Vere Hunt’s Irish estate, and they experienced agricultural difficulties while on the island. This led Sir Vere Hunt to seek someone who would take the island off his hands.

In the 1820s John Benison agreed to purchase the Island for £4,500 but then refused to complete sale as he felt that that Aubrey could not make out a good title in respect of the sale terms, namely that the Island was free from tithes and taxes.

William Hudson Heaven purchased Lundy in 1834, as a summer retreat and for the shooting, at a cost of 9,400 guineas (£9,870). He claimed it to be a "free island", and successfully resisted the jurisdiction of the mainland magistrates. Lundy was in consequence sometimes referred to as "the kingdom of Heaven". It belongs in fact to the county of Devon, and has always been a part of the hundred of Braunton.

Many of the buildings on the island today, including Saint Helena’s Church, designed by the architect John Norton, and Millcombe House (originally known simply as The Villa), date from the Heaven period. The Georgian-style Villa was built in 1836. However, the expense of building the road from the beach (no financial assistance being provided by Trinity House, despite their regular use of the road following the construction of the lighthouses), the Villa and the general cost of running the island had a ruinous effect on the family’s finances, which had been damaged by reduced profits from their sugar plantations in Jamaica.

In 1957 a message in a bottle from one of the seamen of the HMS Caledonia was washed ashore between Babbacombe and Peppercombe in Devon. The letter, dated 15 August 1843 read: "Dear Brother, Please e God i be with y against Michaelmas. Prepare y search Lundy for y Jenny ivories. Adiue William, Odessa". The bottle and the letter are on display at the Portledge Hotel at Fairy Cross, in Devon, England. The Jenny was a three-masted schooner reputed to be carrying ivory and gold dust that was wrecked on Lundy (at a place thereafter called Jenny’s Cove) on 20 February 1797. The ivory was apparently recovered some years later but the leather bags supposed to contain gold dust were never found.

Sketch of JWH Scotland’s second Caudron bi-plane
property insurance
Image by Archives New Zealand
The above image is a sketch of JWH Scotland’s second Caudron bi-plane at Sockburn, Wigram. Drawn by New Zealand artist John Hood Alexander.

On 6 March 1914 JWH Scotland (Will) flew his Caudron biplane from Timaru to Christchurch, New Zealand, establishing a distance record of (158km). On the way he makes the first unofficial airmail delivery, dropping a small package from the cockpit over Temuka, New Zealand.

Will (James William Humphrey) Scotland was born in 1891 in Paihia, New Zealand. In 1913 he obtained his pilot licence in Britain, making him the second New Zealander to be issued with a British Aviation Certificate. He returned to New Zealand with a Caudron aircraft, making the first cross-country flights in New Zealand, flying Invercargill to Gore, then Timaru to Christchurch in 2 hours 15 minutes.

On 21 January 1914, the Caudron aircraft arrived in Ōtaki from Wellington. It was assembled in a marquee on Mr. Baucke’s property, approximately 1.5 kms from this site. Ray Mann, Jack Ropata and Mr. Thorndon helped to assemble the aircraft. Three days later, Scotland attempted to fly the plane, but failed when a skid caught in a rut and a spar was broken. By 29 January 1914, the aircraft had been repaired and Scotland made a successful 20 minute flight, circling a field at five hundred feet. The propeller from his Caudron aircraft can be viewed at the Museum of Aviation in Paraparaumu, New Zealand.

Will Scotland played a major role in assisting Henry Wigram establish a pilot training school at Sockburn (Wigram). In 1918 he toured the United States of America visiting flying schools, aero clubs and aircraft factories. In 1919, Scotland severed all connection with aviation and joined an insurance company in Palmerston North. He died in Melbourne, Australia at the age of 72.

www.kapiticoast.govt.nz/Our-District/Heritage-Trail/otaki…

Archives New Zealand Reference: AEPK 20230 W2774/8 – Former Archives Reference: NACW2774/19x

For updates on our On This Day series and news from Archives New Zealand, follow us on Twitter twitter.com/ArchivesNZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

11 − 3 =